Love Story 3 column

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Quick - It's Almost Thanksgiving!!!

So I just realized this week that my daughter has nothing to wear for Thanksgiving. How can that be? We always have something for a holiday. I'm going to claim pregnancy brain on this one. But today, the problem was solved. I headed to Hobby Lobby (cue the angels!) with plans to make something elaborate (silly me). Instead, I stumbled upon some fall napkins that were surprisingly the same size as a bandana. Oh, yeah! I know exactly what to do with those!!!

Here's what I got...
 The bandana-sized napkins were $1 each (on sale!), the ribbon was $2 (on sale!), and the 1/3 yard of yellow fabric was $1.63 (on sale!).

 Here's what I made with my $4.63 purchase during my daughter's nap today...

I basically followed the same steps for a bandana dress (like here), but I added a ruffle at the bottom. I thought all that brown needed some brightness.

I cut two 4" strips of the yellow across the width of fabric.

Then I stitched the ends to form a large circle and folded the circle in half, matching the raw edges and pressing the crease.

Next I serged the raw edges (you could also use pinking shears or a zig zag stitch) and put in two lines of gathering stitches. I probably should have used matching thread for gathering, but I was lazy and didn't want to go upstairs to look for some!

I matched the ruffle edge to the outside of the dress hem, pulled up the gathering threads, pinned it in place, then stitched it down. I also topstitched the dress hem to help the ruffle stay down.

Hope you all have something cute for your cutie to wear the rest of November. But if you have a girl that needs something quick, run to Hobby Lobby. They also had a napkin that was brown with yellow and orange owls all over.

Happy crafting!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment